Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Looking to the future...

The past few months have felt like a long hiatus from both art making and recording the process of doing so. In that time I took part in an exhibition (courtesy of QCA) called the F-BOMB, organised by Maura Reilly and her crack team of feminist art theory students. The exhibition was an opportunity for me to showcase the Ancora! photographic series, but unfortunately the space was too 'small' for the accompanying sound piece. The exhibition came at the end of an arduous (albeit thrilling) semester, and regrettably I did not remember to take photos of my photos (which can be seen on a post from 17/5/12). There is however, a catalogue written by honours student Lisa Bryan-Brown, that blurbs the artists and unpacks the challenges and new directions that contemporary feminism(s) face today. A copy of the catalogue is available below. Apologies for the bizarre formatting - I'm still not entirely sure if it's possible to upload PDF files to blogs.

Since then, I spent a month travelling from HaNoi to Saigon. I had written extensively about the journey, furiously and dedicatedly scribbling (or tapping) away the beauty and inimitable wonder of a foreign land. Four days before my return home, my phone was stolen from the dorm room that I idiotically left it in, and with it, 25 days of my soul. It wasn't as tragic as it sounds, for the richness of an experience with corrupt and surly 'law-enforcers' truly cannot be beat, but I'm not going into details here. In fact what I would like to stress, on this notion of recording the process, is that some things are better left unsaid. If anyone really cared to know what it's like to feel alpine vapour on sunburned skin as they ride through clouds on pine covered mountains above jungles and rice paddies and the sweet, smokey smell of tiny villages, they would do so.

And as such, I hope that the work I produce now and in the future does more talking than I will.








No comments:

Post a Comment